Saturday, March 14, 2009

Faith 'n Fiction Saturday: Surprised



Today's Question:Have you ever read a book and been completely surprised by it? Was it either better than you were expecting, moving in ways you didn't expect, more captivating than you thought, or totally different from what you thought it would be about?

Great question, Amy! I can think of two or three books right off that were a wonderful surprise for me! T.L. Higley's Seven Wonders series has been an amazing surprise for me. Shadow of Colossus and City of the Dead take the reader back to ancient times, but the neat thing about it is that the plot incorporates mystery and suspense all along the way - a combination I wasn't expecting at all! So you get to enjoy great historical settings with a suspenseful and believable plot line. I have become a very enthusiastic fan of her writing!

Most recently Journey to the Well has been particularly powerful. Diana Wallis Taylor is a debut author, and she brought new and powerful insight to a very familiar Biblical character. I appreciated the fact that she was faithful to keep the dialogue between Jesus and the Samaritan woman biblically acurate and all the while fitting it seamlessly into the story. It is a powerful story about the grace and mercy of Christ, and I loved it!

Thanks for another good question, Amy! I hope my readers will visit Amy's blog and see what other surprises await you!

5 comments:

Lynn Squire said...

Oh, its good to hear about books that stick to the true account.

Brittanie said...

I should have put the new Karen Kingsbury on mine too. It did surprise me. I am glad I read it but I do not want to reread it. Does that make sense?

Nise' said...

Got these books on my ever growing TBR list.

SmilingSally said...

You reminded me of Angela Hunt's Dreamers. It's a biblically correct account of Joseph with many gaps nicely filled in. Happy Faith ‘n Fiction Day. Here’s my answer:
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/faith-n-fiction-saturday-surprised.html

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions for some new (for me) reading material. Love today's topic. Got my answer up at Free Spirit-

http://tinyurl.com/dm86yo