Saturday, February 28, 2009

Faith -N- Fiction Saturday: What Would You Like to See?

Today's Question: Christian fiction is growing as a market, but there are still many unexplored storylines and under-represented genres. What issues or ideas would you like to see tackled from a Christian worldview? Or, what setting would you like to see? Which genres would you like to see more books?

My Answer: I'm old enough to remember the Christian market when it held only a handfull of titles. It would be easy to say the market needs nothing else considering how huge it has become. However, after blogging for over a year and reading such a massive number of books, I think there is still a lack of good young adult fiction - for boys in particular. I have two teen boys at home who are avid readers. They enjoy a wide variety of genres, but I would love to see more books like Mel Odom's Appocalyse series - lots of action with a solid Christian message. I'd love to see more books like Robert Lawhead's Tuck - tons of action and a good solid plot. And of course I pray that Robert Liparulo keeps writing young adult books from now on - edge-of-your-seat action on every page! (Dreamhouse King Series)

I've read a lot of young adult fiction for girls - in abundance. Even when I go to the library there seems to be so many more young adult novels aimed at girls. I think sometime it is perceived that boys don't read a lot - and that may be true overall - but when you have boys who read in your home, it is often difficult to keep them in good material. Fortunately, I can share some of my "adult" reads with them, but it would be nice to have a wider selection of young adult books aimed specifically at boys.

Check out My Friend Amy's blog for more answers to this interesting question!

9 comments:

SmilingSally said...

You have found a weak spot indeed. Most Young Adult Fiction is written for girls. However, my response list three recent teen titles, two of which are for boys or girls.

Amy said...

Another good answer! We need to send these into the publishers. :)

Nise' said...

I agree Kim! As an avid reader, a friend has asked for help in recommending books for her son and I have not has much success other than Robert Liparulo and Stephen Lawhead.

Anonymous said...

I agree there is a need for more YA for boys. Good post and answers!

Mine are up at Free Spirit-

http://tinyurl.com/cgvu7s

Stormi said...

Yes I never really thought of that but you are right.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Yes - more YA (or even books for kids younger than that) needs to be written for boys.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I never thought of this, but I don't have kids.

My post

Rhonda Clark said...

I feel your pain. I have a teen boy, but not much of the Christian fiction I get in for review he'd be interested in. Ted Dekker has a couple of YA series that my son absolutely devours. He really enjoys the graphic novels. That's what I'd like to see more of.

Too bad I didn't think of that when I wrote my answer.

Rachel said...

Kim, I have to agree with you on the young adult books. My daughter isn't too much into girly books which is great because she and my son can share Ted Dekker and other authors that interest both. I would love to see more YA Christian fiction!