Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What I'm thinking about today....

Roman 15: 1-2 reads like this:
We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. Let every one of us please his neighbor for his good to edification.

My husband and I volunteer at a women's rehab facility, and as our roles there grow and change, my husband considered anew what our purpose was in that place. Romans 15:1-2 was the answer to his question. Many of these ladies are new Christians, and as unworthy as we are, my husband and I are coming along side these folks (as Christians a little further down the road of life) as they heal and recover from wrong choices and encourage them to cling to God and His strength during this time. Every week it seems there is a new challenge and a new miracle. He has given us such a love for this precious group of ladies, and it amazes me that we have not done such work before.

I cannot begin to express in words truly what I have learned from this experience in the past few months. I know I'm learning not to be so quick with an answer, to seek God for absolutely everything...especially what I say or don't say to encourage these folks. I'm learning that our relationships have not happened by chance and that there is purpose in all we say and do for Christ, and I have learned that there is no difference between me and these women in recovery...we are all blood bought creations of our precious Heavenly Father! His mercies are new every day to each of us! How could I not come along side someone who is my sister and help bear her load??

As you read and write and consider things, don't forget to spend real time with real people helping them to carry their load. We are all the better for it!!

Blessings!

No comments: