Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cursebreaker by Nancy Wentz - My Review


Demon possession is a topic that appears once in a while in fiction. It is a topic that many find uncomfortable and unbelievable. Nancy Wentz has written a story that makes this topic very believable, but still quite uncomfortable! Cursebreaker tells the story of the Fratellia family and the generations - the centuries - of demon possession that has cursed their bloodline. God has sent a prophet to break that curse, and the battle that ensues is nothing short of horrific.


Cursebreaker is a story that requires some degree of suspended disbelief. Although spiritual warfare is not fictional, the concept provides a great launching pad of ideas from which unsettling fictional stories begin. Nancy’s story is set in the 1930’s where prohibition, g-men and mafia wars were realistic forces in society. She layers this reality with a supernatural curse, and in so doing creates a suspenseful, nerve-wracking story that the reader cannot put down!


The mafia wars and intricate inner workings of the mafia family are portrayed in all of their violent, gory details. The Fratellia family represents the ultimate depravity on every level of human existence. The only viable spiritual force that stands against their demonic power is a young man ripped from the grip of a poverty-stricken, abusive father and given the supernatural gift of prophecy. This young man suffers unbelievable physical challenges throughout the course of the story, and often times your heart just aches with a desire to comfort and protect the child.


I’d like to tell you that the ending of this story wraps things up for both the child in the story and the reader’s emotions, but it just isn’t possible. Your heart and mind are left raw - knowing that the battle still rages. And even though you know that God has already won the war, the battles that must be fought along the way will not be pretty.


I’m a huge fan of suspense fiction. I’ve read some really good stories that deal with spiritual warfare. Cursebreaker is really good. It was like a very high-powered, action-packed movie playing out in your mind. It left me unsettled. I was reminded that as Christians, the warfare is real and we need to keep our focus on Christ and Christ alone. Without Him, we are utterly lost. This is strong reading folks! It stays with you. I look forward to the next book. No doubt Nancy Wentz has more to say about this cast of characters! Please go here to read more about this book!


A Note From the Author:


I asked Nancy to tell us a bit about the concept behind this powerful story. Here is her response:


I started writing this story many years ago after my mother told me about my grandfather's abusive childhood at the hands of his father. It moved me so much that I felt I had to write about it. Some of the things that Luke experiences are based on fact. The main reason I placed it in the 1930s is because I'm a history nut, and because that era offers so many opportunities for great ideas, what with Prohibition, gangsters, the depression. It's modern enough that people can still relate to it, yet far enough back in time that it holds a romantic mystique. I also like Film Noir and tried to place the ambiance of that genre into the setting.

Cursebreaker is book one of a trilogy called The Order of the Scrolls. I'm feverishly working on the second book right now, which I can tell you will take place during World War II.




No comments: