Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A View from Jordyn Redwood's Window - Peril!!

Jordyn Redwood has written a thrilling trilogy of medical suspense trilogy that is absolutely brimming with intrigue and so many twists and turns that you will most certainly lose a few hours of your day in pursuit of the very satisfying ending that accompanies her stories!  Peril is the final book in the Bloodline Trilogy, and I am very grateful to be able to share some insight from Jordyn about her latest work! 

Please join me and welcome Jordyn Redwood to my Window!  Enjoy the view!

Peril is a word that aptly describes the state of human existence when scientists attempt to play “god” using new technological advances!  The field of neuroscience  - specifically the concept of neurographs – certainly made a very creepy concept to incorporate into fiction!  Or was is fiction?  Tell your readers, how this story was conceived?

Jordyn: There is a lot of anecdotal evidence in medicine of recipients of organs developing tastes and even having some memories that come from their donors. Liking a certain baseball team and even one story about a recipient recalling details of her donor’s murderer. A fascination with that phenomenon became the seed for Peril.

Do we have scientists convinced that they are able to play “god” in their particular area of research?

Jordyn: This is an excellent question and probably hard to answer because I don’t work in research or know individual researchers. I will approach the question this way. If a scientist doesn’t believe in God—then where does he draw his moral and ethical boundaries from? Is anything off limits? Because there are some very scary people, granted on the fringes at this point in time, that advocate for infanticide and some who advocate for unfettered abortions. Late term abortions are not illegal in every state. It’s perplexing to me how we work so hard to save the life of a 24wk infant in the NICU yet—possibly just down the road—aborting these same aged infants.

When the value of a life becomes a point of convenience then society as a whole is in trouble because then it becomes the person in power's opinion of whether or not your life is valuable. 
I found it fascinating that you were able to weave so many different – yet similar – responses to tragedy using many different angles!  How difficult was it to write such an emotionally charged book?


Jordyn: For me, the intensely emotional scenes tend to be difficult to get right on the page because all my other writing (for instance charting at work) is approached in a dry and clinical just-the-facts manner. I do feel like this is an area I have really worked hard at in my writing and probably the biggest growth I've had as an author.

What research was required for you to write about the different stages/responses to grief? (we witness a range of emotions from suicidal thoughts to insane rage and violence).

Jordyn: I did not do specific research in the area of grief. Sadly, my twenty year nursing career gave me plenty of first hand experiences to draw from.

Why does the human heart remain so resistant to accept the truth that we are emotionally needy, and that, without God in our life we do not possess the strength to handle the challenges life lays before us?

Jordyn: Wow, there are a lot of ways to answer this question from an emotional, psychological and theological point of view but I'm going to boil it down to pride which is something I struggle with and Morgan particularly struggles with in Peril. We feel like as humans we are intelligent enough to know and have all the answers and we don't need anyone to "save" us. We can do that fully ourselves. Couple that with a culture that doesn't recognize sinful behavior anymore on many different fronts and I think you have a perfect storm of declining belief in God. 

Do you expect that there will be a reaction to your work regarding the unborn element?  (trying not to give anything away!)

Jordyn: This will be very interesting for me to hear from readers. Will they come away feeling that the whole novel was a pro-life message in disguise and be offended by that? I don't know. This may be one where the reviews are polarized between one and five stars. People may love it or hate it. Thus far-- the reviews have been very positive so I'm worrying a little less.

Peril is the last in a trilogy.  What project is next for you as a writer?  Can you give us a sneak peek?

Jordyn: My agent is submitting a fiction proposal that investigates the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Are these experiences purely medical, purely spiritual or a combination of both? Thus far it hasn't been picked up by a publisher but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am considering self publishing next year so I make sure my readers have something to entertain them until my next traditionally published novel comes out.

What have you learned as you created the Bloodline Trilogy?  How has that impacted your faith?

Jordyn: I've learned a lot just about the craft of writing a novel. I've been so blessed to get to work with some amazing editors who have taken my coal-like rough writing and helped polish it into diamonds. As far as faith-- so many ways. Am I courageous enough in my faith to "fictionalize" some of my deeply held beliefs and put them out there for public consumption? I have seen God's footprints on this writing journey in some amazing ways and the toughness of this journey was definitely worth having those moments.

What words of encouragement would you like to share with your readers?


Jordyn: Whatever your dream is . . . go for it! 

If you want to discover more about Jordyn Redwood and her writing please check HERE!

No comments: